The Malta Independent 1 March 2021, Monday

Internal Enemalta investigation on Montenegro wind farm scandal handed to police

Tuesday, 16 February 2021, 10:05 Last update: about 9 days ago

An internal Enemalta investigation into the Montenegro wind farm scandal has been passed on to the police, Energy Minister Miriam Dalli told parliament on Monday.

Replying to a parliamentary question by PN MP Ryan Callus, Dalli said that it would be “premature” to publish the probe now because it could prejudice the police’s work. 

The police, she said, are currently seeing if there is scope for any investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT

An investigation by Times of Malta and Reuters found that 17 Black, the Dubai company owned by Yorgen Fenech, made a profit of €4.6 million from Enemalta's purchase of a windfarm in Montenegro.

The Maltese government announced in November 2015 that it was acquiring the project through Enemalta.

Records show, however, that, on 10 December, Fersa sold its 99% interest in Mozura to an intermediary, a Seychelles-registered company called Cifidex Ltd. The remaining 1% of shares, held by a local Montenegrin company, were also sold to Cifidex.

Cifidex paid €2.9 million for the Mozura shares. Two weeks later, it sold the shares to Enemalta - for €10.3 million.

Cifidex purchased the wind farm shares with €3m borrowed from 17 Black. After Cifidex sold the shares to Enemalta, the offshore company repaid the €3m to 17 Black plus an additional €4.6m “profit share”.

The Daphne Caruana Galizia Foundation later claimed that they had email evidence which showed that Cifidex was owned by Turab Musayev.

Former Energy Minister Konrad Mizzi was booted out of the Labour Party’s parliamentary group shortly after the scandal was exposed.

  • don't miss