The Malta Independent 18 January 2022, Tuesday

41 new Covid-19 cases reported as health authorities shift to new information format

Tuesday, 7 September 2021, 09:59 Last update: about 5 months ago

41 new cases of Covid-19 were reported on Tuesday as health authorities shifted their daily bulletin into a new information format which will emphasise more on hospitalisations rather than cases.

The news of the shift was announced by Health Minister Chris Fearne on Tuesday when he also revealed that the the number of vaccine doses administered so far has surpassed 800,000.

Authorities said that 29 people meanwhile have recovered, taking the total number of active cases up to 722.

No new deaths were reported on Tuesday.

29 patients are currently being treated at Mater Dei Hospital, 2 of whom are in ITU - something which had already been announced by Fearne earlier in the day.

Up till yesterday, 800,572 doses of the vaccine had been administered, of which 530 are booster doses.

A significant amount of information was dropped from the new bulletin format: the number of swab tests administered in a single day and the total administered so far was not included, while it is now not specified how many people are fully vaccinated.

The total number of cases and recoveries so far has also been dropped from the information bulletin.

Fearne had said early on Tuesday that the emphasis of the daily bulletin will be on hospitalisations and ITU admissions.

Working off the previous day's numbers, Malta has had 36,553 cases of Covid-19 so far. 34,990 of those have recovered, while 445 have died.

  • don't miss