The government will issue a call for the development of a new 300-bed intermediate care hospital, to be named after Sir Temi Zammit, at San Vincenz de Paul Residence, Prime Minister Robert Abela announced Monday.
Speaking on site, Abela described the tender as the first step in a broader vision to introduce a level of healthcare that Malta has not previously had in the field of intermediate care. He recalled that a pilot project launched in 2024 started with 16 beds and was later expanded to 40 beds through the refurbishment of two wards within the Rużar Briffa complex at San Vincenz de Paul. The pilot, he said, had been successful, paving the way for a larger investment estimated at €1.3 billion.
Abela said the project forms part of a wider chain of investments in the health sector. He noted that government expenditure on healthcare currently stands at around €1.7 billion annually, with approximately €300 million allocated to elderly care. He added that this represents a fivefold increase compared to 2012 under a previous administration.
The Prime Minister also referred to recent upgrades at the facility, including the introduction of an MRI machine that allows for more complex and precise examinations. He said investment is not limited to infrastructure and technology, but also extends to human resources, highlighting improved financial packages and working conditions for healthcare and elderly care professionals.
Abela emphasised the role of the private sector as a strategic partner in maintaining high standards of care. He said there are currently 20 agreements in place with private operators for the purchase of beds, while three state-owned homes are run by private entities. He argued that such investment remains sustainable due to the country's economic performance, which enables spending across key sectors including healthcare, energy support measures and workers' conditions.
Health and Active Ageing Minister Jo Etienne Abela said the concept of intermediate care had been explored just over two years ago, with the aim of offering targeted treatment to prevent deterioration in patients' medical conditions. He described the new 300-bed hospital as a bridge between home-based care and acute hospital care for the elderly.
Parliamentary Secretary for Active Ageing Malcolm Paul Agius Galea said the government has a clear and ambitious vision that places elderly people and their needs at the centre of policy. He added that the project is being designed according to modern international hospital standards.
Agius Galea said that intermediate care services are already being provided at San Vincenz de Paul through specialised teams and dedicated wards, helping elderly patients recover more quickly and return to normal life. He said these services will be further strengthened through the construction of the new Sir Temi Zammit hospital within the same complex.