The Malta Independent 22 August 2026, Saturday
View E-Paper

Swieqi Local Council shows ‘serious concerns’ over proposed footbridge at St Andrew’s Road

Wednesday, 15 April 2026, 08:52 Last update: about 5 months ago

The Swieqi Local Council expressed its serious concerns regarding planning application PA 1595/26, which proposes the construction of a pedestrian footbridge along Triq Sant Andrija, connecting Swieqi with parts of Pembroke.

While the Council fully supports the principle of improving pedestrian safety and connectivity between communities, it strongly believes that such proposals must be properly planned, transparently communicated, and developed in close consultation with all stakeholders; particularly the affected localities.

In a statement, the council said it was not consulted by Infrastructure Malta prior to the submission of this application, despite its obligation to do so. The Council only became aware of the proposal through social media, raising serious concerns about the level of stakeholder engagement.

Earlier this week, the Swieqi Local Council held meetings with the Infrastructure Malta architects involved in the project, as well as with Infrastructure Malta CEO, Steve Ellul, to discuss the proposal and convey its preliminary concerns. Furthermore, today the Council met with residents to better understand and document the concerns being raised by the community.

Key concerns identified by the Council and residents include:

The proposed location is not optimal, being distant from key residential and commercial areas, and should be reconsidered;

The need to ensure that any pedestrian crossing is strategically located near public transport access points;

The visual and structural impact of the proposed footbridge, which may negatively affect nearby residential properties;

The existence of alternative locations that may better serve the needs of both Swieqi and Pembroke residents.

The Council has also proposed an alternative solution in the form of a pedestrian underpass, which would result in reduced visual impact, lower long-term maintenance requirements, and could be better positioned in a more frequently used location.

The Council said it is also concerned about the projected cost of the proposed footbridge, which appears disproportionately high. We believe that public funds must be used responsibly and efficiently, particularly when more cost-effective and better-suited alternatives are available to achieve the same objectives. The Council reiterates that it is not opposed to the concept of a safe pedestrian connection.

However, it insists that any such project must be carefully designed, appropriately located, and agreed upon following meaningful consultation.

The Swieqi council will be organising a protest agaiknst the project on Saturday at 10am at St Andrew's Road corner with Triq is-Slielem.

Mayor Noel Muscat stated: "Our residents deserve to be consulted, respected, and heard. This proposal cannot move forward without proper dialogue and without addressing the legitimate concerns of our community. We remain committed to ensuring that any development in Swieqi truly reflects the needs and well-being of our residents."

The Council said it remains committed to representing the interests of its residents and ensuring that their voices are heard in decisions that directly impact their quality of life.

 


  • don't miss