The Malta Independent 18 August 2026, Tuesday
View E-Paper

Abela promises tax relief for youth, says ‘best is yet to come’

Tuesday, 28 April 2026, 20:59 Last update: about 5 months ago

Prime Minister Robert Abela told Labour supporters in Żejtun on Tuesday that young people entering the labour market would be exempt from income tax for three years, presenting the measure as a key electoral pledge.

Addressing the rally, Abela contrasted Malta's position with what he described as more precarious conditions for young people across other European countries. He said a Labour government would continue to guarantee a social model that supports citizens "from the cradle to the grave," arguing that such commitments are possible because of the country's strong economic performance.

The Labour leader pointed to a series of social proposals unveiled earlier in the day, targeting young people, parents, and pensioners. He described them as part of a broader vision, insisting that "the best is yet to come."

Among the measures highlighted were increased maternity and paternity leave, the introduction of six months of paid shared parental leave, a rise in the new child bonus to €5,000, and an additional 28 days of leave for parents with children under two. Abela framed these initiatives as forming "a new social pact with parents."

He also reiterated plans to raise pensions, adding that further proposals aimed at elderly citizens would be announced in the weeks ahead.

"I ask you once again to trust me and my competent team," Abela said, while acknowledging that more work remains to be done.

The rally also featured addresses by former parliamentary secretary Franco Mercieca, who confirmed he will contest the election again with the Labour Party, and MP Naomi Cachia.

  • don't miss