The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

Updated: Court annuls tribunal decision on major Comino hotel project

Monday, 4 May 2026, 10:07 Last update: about 5 months ago

A court has annulled a decision by the Environment and Planning Review Tribunal (EPRT) which had confirmed a Planning Authority permit for a major redevelopment project on Comino, NGO Moviment Graffitti said Monday.

In a Facebook statement, the NGO described the ruling as "big news," saying that the court had overturned the tribunal's decision which upheld the Planning Authority's approval for a project by Hili Group involving a 71-room hotel, 16 villas and dozens of swimming pools on Comino.

Moviment Graffitti said its fight, together with that of other organisations, to save Comino from greed has been going on for a full six years, adding that it was only thanks to the support and contributions of the public that the case could be pursued in Court.

"Today, that collective effort has prevailed," the group said, noting that the Tribunal must now review its decision which had confirmed the permit.

The NGO added that it was represented in the case by Dr Claire Bonello, and criticised the authorities, saying that "it is deeply saddening that we have to struggle relentlessly to protect our country from the very authorities that are supposed to safeguard it."

It also referred to the now-lapsed planning reform proposals, saying that authorities had even tried to stop the organisation through the so-called 'planning reform,' which, if it had passed, would have made it impossible for the NGO to continue fighting such a case.

"History keeps showing us that the people's struggles for justice for their land do bear fruit," Graffitti said, adding that "the fight continues."

The ruling follows a decision by the EPRT last November to uphold the Planning Authority's approval of the controversial Comino redevelopment, rejecting an appeal filed by several environmental NGOs against the permit granted earlier in the year.

The project, proposed by Hili Ventures, involved the redevelopment of existing tourist facilities at San Niklaw Bay and Santa Marija Bay, including a hotel and serviced bungalows, and would have replaced them.

Environmental groups had argued that the plans breached Comino's protected Natura 2000 status and would result in significant environmental impact, including excavation works and loss of protected garigue habitat.

However, the tribunal had concluded that the development complied with applicable planning policies and that mitigation measures would address environmental concerns, ultimately deeming the permit lawful, a decision which has now been annulled by the Court.

In reply, HV Hospitality, a subsidiary of Hili Ventures Limited, noted the Court's decision to refer the Six Senses Comino project back to the EPRT for technical verification of the permitted status of the current structures on Comino.

"While this decision does not conclude the process, it represents the next step in a six-year regulatory journey concerning the proposed redevelopment of the existing hotel and bungalow site on Comino," it said.

A spokesperson for HV Hospitality said that it respected the Court's ruling and remains confident in the planning and environmental merits of this project. 

"Over the years, this proposal has been substantially pared back through consultation, expert input and regulatory engagement, and we remain committed to participating constructively in the next stage of the process," it said.

It said that the proposed €170 million redevelopment remains centred on transforming outdated 1960s-era structures into a lower-density, sustainability-led tourism project aligned with Comino's unique environment, featuring 71 hotel rooms and 16 bungalows.

HV Hospitality said it remained committed to a project that balances environmental restoration, responsible tourism and long-term investment, and will continue to engage responsibly with all relevant authorities and stakeholders as the process moves forward.

In a statement, the party Momentum welcomed the "landmark" Court ruling which annulled the decision of the Environment and Planning Review Tribunal confirming the Planning Authority permit for the massive development project on Comino.

"This judgment represents a significant step forward in protecting one of Malta's most fragile natural environments. The court has sent the case back for reconsideration, effectively reopening scrutiny on a project that includes a large hotel, villas and extensive infrastructure on a protected site," Momentum said.

Momentum leader Arnold Cassola, election candidate on the 9th and 10th districts, said that Momentum strongly commends the extraordinary work carried out by environmental NGOs, including Moviment Graffitti, BirdLife Malta, Din l-Art Ħelwa, Friends of the Earth Malta, Ghawdix and many others, who have led this six-year struggle in defence of Comino. 

"Their persistence, expertise and commitment to the public interest have been decisive in achieving this result. This victory shows that civil society, when determined and united, can challenge flawed decisions and defend Malta's natural heritage. It is also a clear reminder that institutions must act in the public interest, not against it," Cassola said.

Momentum said that Comino must be protected as a unique ecological and public space.

"Any future decisions must fully respect environmental protections, Natura 2000 obligations, and the will of the Maltese people," it said.

The party called on authorities to take this ruling seriously, to ensure full transparency in the reconsideration process, and to place environmental protection at the centre of all planning decisions.

"Momentum stands with NGOs, activists and citizens in continuing the fight to safeguard Comino for present and future generations," it said.

In a statement, NGO Din l-Art Ħelwa welcomed the Court decision to revoke the permit for the proposed Comino hotel and bungalows development and refer the case back to the Tribunal for re-evaluation. 

It said that this ruling represented an important opportunity for further scrutiny of applicable policies and reinforces the need to safeguard Malta's national heritage.

Din L-Art Ħelwa maintained that the development, as originally approved by the Planning Authority, significantly exceeded applicable thresholds. 

It said that the scale and intensity of the project would have led to the over-commercialisation of the environmentally sensitive island of Comino, undermining its ecological integrity and unique natural character.

Din L-Art Ħelwa also said that all national and international safeguards must be fully respected, including protections afforded to sites designated as Natura 2000. 

"These frameworks exist to ensure that fragile ecosystems such as Comino are preserved responsibly. Comino is a site of exceptional environmental value, and decisions affecting its future must be guided by sustainability, proportionality, and long-term stewardship," a spokesperson said.

It said that safeguarding Comino is essential not only for present generations but also for those to come.

 

 

  • don't miss