The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

Government insists schools will open normally on Monday

Tuesday, 26 May 2026, 14:08 Last update: about 4 months ago

The Education Ministry has insisted that all schools will operate normally on Monday, June 1, despite one of Malta's main school transport providers announcing it will suspend services because of safety concerns linked to post-election celebrations.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the ministry said schools would open as scheduled and stressed that it had never instructed schools or transport operators to suspend or alter services.

The general election is being held on Saturday, with results expected Sunday and the official swearing-in ceremony to be held on Monday, during which day supporters of the winning party are expected to be in celebratory mode.

"The Ministry emphasises that at no point did it inform schools or school transport service providers that the service should be suspended or changed," the statement said Tuesday.

The ministry added that all transport providers were expected to continue offering services in line with their contractual obligations and urged parents and students to follow normal school and transport arrangements.

The statement was issued in response to a report in Times of Malta that Coop Services Ltd, one of the country's largest school transport operators, had decided not to operate school vans on the day after the general election.

A company spokesperson told the paper the decision was based on "responsibility and safety", citing concerns about traffic disruption caused by election celebrations, caravans and official events expected after the result is announced.

The company said the first day of half-days in schools would coincide with celebrations and the swearing-in of the next prime minister, creating what it described as potentially chaotic road conditions.

It warned that areas such as Sliema, St Julian's, Ħamrun and Valletta were expected to face major disruption because of celebratory caravans, official ceremonies and gatherings at party headquarters.

The spokesperson said the company was particularly worried about the safety of children during afternoon drop-offs, arguing that similar problems already arise during large-scale celebrations such as St Patrick's Day.

Coop Services said the decision had been company policy for more than 30 years and confirmed that normal transport services would resume on Tuesday, June 2.

Some schools have already informed parents about the lack of transport while confirming that schools would remain open. At least one school has designated June 1 as a study day for students while staff attend a development day.

 


  • don't miss