The Malta Independent 22 August 2026, Saturday
View E-Paper

Man Convicted to two-and-a-half years in prison for several crimes

Malta Independent Wednesday, 19 May 2004, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

Charlot Cutajar stole more than Lm1,000 in cash and items worth more than Lm100 from a house in Marsascala on 20 January 2003. On the same day, he also handled a stolen Honda Civic and was in possession of cocaine.

In addition to these crimes, Cutajar was found guilty of attaching false number plates to the stolen Honda, driving it without a licence or insurance and relapsing in view of previous convictions.

Prosecuting inspector Jeffrey Cilia testified in the proceedings against Cutajar and said Mark Caruana and Vanessa Mifsud had been arrested and confirmed they had gone to buy drugs with the money made after they sold gold items stolen from a house in Marsascala. They spoke of their involvement in the theft and said that Caruana and Cutajar jumped into the garden while Mifsud stood guard.

The court said the accused’s record is peppered with cases of aggravated theft and drug possession. The accused did not reform, despite the various opportunities given to him by the court.

Psychologist Joseph Spiteri noted that the accused had a drug problem that made him paranoid and psychotic but he had made progress during his time in prison.

After reviewing the evidence, the court found the man guilty of all the charges made against him and convicted him to two-and-a-half years in prison. The time he spent in preventive custody was ordered not to be deducted from his sentence.

The court was presided over by Magistrate Consuelo Scerri Herrera.

  • don't miss