The Malta Independent 22 August 2026, Saturday
View E-Paper

AD Will not ask for a recount in Munxar

Malta Independent Tuesday, 13 March 2007, 00:00 Last update: about 13 years ago

Alternattiva Demokratika will not be asking for a recount of the votes in Munxar, despite having missed out electing a candidate by just two votes.

AD candidate Michael Angelo Bajada failed to be elected by two votes, after Malta Labour Party candidate Joseph Vella was eliminated on the fifth count and two of his votes were transferred to PN candidate Mario Emanuel Camilleri. Mr Camilleri was therefore elected without reaching the quota, with 105 votes against Mr Bajada’s 103 votes.

On Sunday, Alternattiva Demokratika chairman Harry Vassallo told The Malta Independent that AD was considering calling for a recount in the Gozitan village. However, AD Public Relations Officer Victor Fiorini said yesterday that the party will not call for a recount after all.

Mr Fiorini said AD agents were sure a re-count would not change the result as they had been very careful during the counting process.

“It is a case of extremely tough luck,” commented Mr Fiorini, “however, we accept the result.” He added that next time around, the party will try to “knock on that extra door”, highlighting the Maltese electoral adage that “every vote counts”.

  • don't miss