The Bank of Valletta is the main supporting partner and official bank of Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, following a collaboration agreement covering a period of three years that was signed yesterday. Through the agreement the Bank of Valletta will be supporting the renovation of the Upper Barrakka Saluting Battery, which is being transformed into an interactive cultural visitor-experience.
The agreement was signed by Charles Borg, chief officer financial markets of the Bank of Valletta, Mario Farrugia, chairperson and CEO, and George Said, deputy chairperson of Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna, at a news conference held at the Saluting Battery site.
Mr Borg said that “as the Maltese community bank, the Bank of Valletta is keen to partner with Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna and be involved in this project. In the past, the Bank of Valletta has supported the Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna and this agreement consolidates and enhances the relationship that exists between the two parties that will now see BOV being recognised as the main supporting partner and the officlial bank of this important NGO”.
Highlighting the strategic importance of Malta’s vast historical heritage Mr Farrugia explained that the foundation has always sought ways to merge the benefits of preservation and education. “Many sites under the patronage of Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna are being upgraded and transformed into full-fletched visitor experiences. Thanks to the extensive support of the Bank of Valletta, such projects are now coming into fruition and the current project of renovating the Saluting Battery will ensure that all visitors coming to the site will be able to enjoy a memorable and rewarding experience.
“The Saluting Battery project which FWA is undertaking together with the Malta Tourism Authority and the Malta environment and landscaping project, is open to visitors on a daily basis with guided tours offered at 11am and 12.15pm and a daily historical re-enactment taking place at noon when a time gun is fired to mark the passage of mid-day.
Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna is a voluntary non-governmental organisation active in the fields of heritage preservation and management. It is entrusted with the conservation of several historic buildings and sites around Malta, all of which are open to the public.
87-year-old dies as ceiling caves in
An 87-year-old man died on Saturday night after a ceiling of his residence in Sliema caved in.
The police were informed at around 11.30pm that a ceiling caved in at a residence in St Mary Street, Sliema and upon arrival found that the ceiling caved in on an 87-year-old man.
He was certified dead on site by the medical team that rushed to the rescue, along with Civil Protection Department members.
Duty magistrate Miriam Hayman was informed of the incident and appointed several experts to help her in the inquiry.
Police investigations are underway.
Pier Ferdinando Casini to open Parliamentary Assembly
The President of the inter-Parliamentary Union and former Italian Lower House Speaker, Pier Ferndinando Casini, will address the opening session of the Parliamentary Assembly which will hold its meetings in Malta from 22 to 24 November. The parliamentary Assembly brings together the national parliaments on the Mediterranean littoral.
The opening session of the assembly will also be addressed by the Speaker of the house of Representatives Anton Tabone and the President of the Bureau of the assembly Abdelwahed Radi.
During the inaugural session of the assembly held last year in Amman, Malta was chosen as the seat of the Headquarters of the Assembly. To this end, the Maltese Government offered Spinola Palace.
The opening session will be followed by the signing of the Headquarters Agreement by Justice and Home Affairs Minister Tonio Borg and Mr Radi. The agreement defines the juridical status of the assembly headquarters in Malta.
President of Malta Edward Fenech Adami will officially inaugurate the headquarters and unveil a commemorative plaque for the occasion.