The Malta Independent 21 August 2026, Friday
View E-Paper

St Paul’s Bay mayor outlines council’s limited role in delayed Bugibba Square works

Yasmin Mifsud Monday, 20 April 2026, 08:31 Last update: about 5 months ago

St Paul's Bay Mayor Censu Galea has defended the local council's role in the ongoing Bugibba Square regeneration project, stressing that while the council has worked to represent residents' concerns, it holds no authority over contractors or the execution of works.

Galea was contacted by The Malta Independent after this media house last week reported about the delays in the execution of the project, which is negatively affecting businesses and residents in the area.

Galea emphasised that the project, originally launched by the Malta Tourism Authority, is now being carried out by Infrastructure Malta, with coordination meetings still taking place between various entities. He noted that prior to the commencement of works in late 2024, efforts were made to ensure the involvement of the St Paul's Bay Local Council in planning discussions.

He explained that from the outset, his approach was to ensure that, despite reservations about certain aspects of the project, works approved under Planning Authority application PA1491/17- along with any subsequent changes- would be implemented efficiently and completed in the shortest possible time. He said he represented the council in a number of meetings, where he consistently pushed for faster progress, although these meetings later became less frequent.

Galea also said that the project had been extended beyond its original scope to include the replacement of drainage and water mains in Triq ir-Rebbiegha and the expansion of works to surrounding streets. According to him, these changes were necessary to avoid leaving critical infrastructure issues unresolved.

Addressing public frustration, Galea acknowledged the significant disruption faced by residents and businesses, noting that the council receives daily complaints regarding the works. While minor issues are often resolved, he admitted that more serious challenges on site are difficult to address due to the council's lack of direct control.

"Contractors do not take orders from the local council," Galea stated, adding that although he maintains regular contact with the main contractor, the council's influence is limited. He stressed that councillors have been kept informed throughout, and that the issue has been discussed multiple times within the council.

The mayor recognised the negative impact of the prolonged works, particularly on the business that have experienced reduced activity or have been forced to close temporarily. He also underlined that while delays have occurred due to on-site difficulties, none were the result of decisions taken by the local council.

Galea's remarks come in the wake of the mounting criticism over delays in the Bugibba Square project, with the locality about to enter its second summer of chaos. Residents and business owners have described worsening conditions since construction began in April last year, citing a lack of communication, safety hazards, and delays that now appear likely to extend beyond the original completion deadline of May.

Those affected reported receiving minimal notice before works commenced, leaving little time to prepare. Over the past year, businesses have seen a decline in customers, with some reducing operating hours or shutting down temporarily. Workers have also been impacted, with reduced income contributing to financial uncertainty.

Tourism in the area has similarly suffered, with visitors expressing dissatisfaction at the state of the locality. Reports of uneven pavements, open holes, and scattered debris have raised serious safety concerns, particularly for elderly residents, some of whom say they are effectively confined to their homes.

Further issues have included restricted access to properties, disruptions to essential services such as water and electricity, and difficulties with waste collection due to road closures. In one instance, access to pavements was entirely blocked for several weeks, forcing businesses to close and residents to remain indoors.

Despite these concerns, many residents have reiterated that they support the regeneration project in principle, but remain critical of its execution. Chief among their complaints is the lack of clear communication from authorities regarding timelines and progress, as well as perceptions of limited activity on site.

Attempts to obtain clarification from Infrastructure Malta and the Transport Ministry have so far gone unanswered, contributing to a growing sense of frustration and uncertainty within the community.

 


  • don't miss