The Naxxar Local Council said that it cannot accept and has never agreed to construction works beginning at 5am at the site of a recent construction incident in the locality, as residents have reported excessive noise and disruption linked to ongoing remedial works in the area.
In a Facebook statement, the council said it had received several complaints from residents regarding ongoing construction activity and noise during the early morning hours at the Naxxar collapse site, and clarified that no authorisation or agreement had been issued permitting works to start at such times.
The council said it had already formally communicated its position to the Building and Construction Authority and said that, as matters currently stand, it cannot accept works commencing so early in the morning.
Among the complaints received, residents specifically reported noise from construction works and trucks sounding their horns at around 5am to request that vehicles be moved from the road, with the council saying this was causing unnecessary inconvenience and disturbance.
The local council also noted that neighbouring residents have for years endured excessive noise, vibrations, dust, mud on roads during winter months, and continuous inconvenience caused by heavy vehicles and construction activity.
While acknowledging the need for the required remedial works and the importance of safeguarding public safety, the council said residents' wellbeing and quality of life must also be respected and protected.
"The Council wishes to make it clear that it is not opposed to exploring every possible means to expedite the required remedial works. However, this cannot be achieved at the expense of residents," the statement said.
It added that construction works beginning at 5am are "by no means a decent or acceptable hour" and said the council will continue pressing the relevant authorities and entities to address residents' concerns seriously.
On Wednesday, the BCA launched emergency remedial works at the site of last week's partial collapse at the massive development in Naxxar, after meeting affected residents.
Families had to be evacuated after part of the foundations of the building, which is still under construction, failed.
BCA response
In a statement Friday, the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) referred to media reports concerning construction works carried out at early hours in Naxxar following the recent incident at the site.
The Authority clarified that the proposed extended working hours were initially considered strictly in light of overriding safety considerations, both for workers and for the general public, with the aim of completing urgent backfilling works in the shortest possible timeframe and limiting prolonged disruption in the area.
The BCA said that these proposed arrangements were communicated and discussed during a meeting held earlier this week with a substantial number of affected residents.
It said that the Naxxar Local Council had also been invited to attend this meeting.
Notwithstanding the above, and following the concerns raised by the Local Council, the contractor has since been directed to carry out works strictly within the hours permitted by law under the BCA's regulatory framework.
The BCA said it remains committed to ensuring that public safety is safeguarded while also taking into account the legitimate concerns of residents.