The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

MLP To produce regional policy documents

Malta Independent Thursday, 29 March 2007, 00:00 Last update: about 20 years ago

In the next few weeks, the Malta Labour Party will be giving more information on the policy documents it has produced over the past few years with the intention of being able to put something more concrete on display.

To do this, the MLP will produce some regional policy documents, MLP leader Alfred Sant said during a meeting with representatives from the Chamber of Small and Medium Enterprises (GRTU) yesterday.

Dr Sant said the main thrust of the documents will be to maximise the positive effects which Malta and Gozo have. “These plans also have an ulterior aim, and that is to generate more employment,” said Dr Sant.

Dr Sant said the tourism sector would be given top priority because if stimulated, it could give immediate positive results as well as creating employment. “For this reason, the MLP will begin by tackling the Bugibba, Qawra and St Paul’s Bay area. We will consult all stakeholders concerned,” he said.

The MLP, said Dr Sant, enjoyed the credibility to be able to implement such a plan which should be completed by June or July this year. The MLP said it would also be producing a plan for the Grand Harbour area and Gozo.

“Whenever the general election comes, the MLP will continue to work on the path it has chosen,” said Dr Sant.

Meanwhile, GRTU president Paul Abela said the chamber was ready to work with the MLP and expressed support for the initiative to put the plans together. Mr Abela also mentioned that the GRTU had already submitted proposals to the Malta Tourism Authority.

GRTU director general Vince Farrugia said the Bugibba area was having serious problems and that the major problem was that the British market was allowed to collapse. He said that 85 per cent of visitors to Bugibba were British and this sector of tourism needed a massive boost.

  • don't miss