The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

Government, opposition blame each other on heavy fuel oil usage

Malta Independent Thursday, 5 September 2013, 20:04 Last update: about 13 years ago

The government and Opposition have issued statements with regard to the Mepa board decision to extending the BWSC trial period till next March.

The government said the opposition’s criticism is a result of its hypocrisy as it had given the island a power station running on Heavy Fuel Oil. It said the people criticizing the matter were the same individuals who amended environmental law making it possible for the island to use such fuel.

The government explained the Mepa board’s decision had to be taken at this stage because the previous administration had postponed such a decision till after the election.

The opposition meanwhile knew well that this extension was to be granted also because, under the previous administration, a temporary permit had been issued for the power station to run on HFO until the necessary studies take place.

The government is against the use of such fuel, and consuqently immediately after being elected it started working on the necessary change from MFO to gas. Such a project is on track and the use of HFO will be eliminated from power station by 2015 while families will be able to benefit from cleaner air and lower bills.

Were it for the PN opposition, the people would have no alternative to the HFO running power station for 20 years.

In another statement, issued more or less at the same time, the PN said it is clear the government, led by Prime Minister Joseph Muscat, is not implementing what it promised before the election because it had promised to immediately shift from using HFO to gas.

The decision was taken despite the fact that the power station can run on both HFO and diesel.

It referred to the IPPC permit condition which allowed the Delimara power station to use Heavy Fuel Oil till 30 June 2014, by when air monitoring study results had to be issued. This clearly shows Dr Muscat’s deceit when speaking of the power station in the past, the PN said.

The fact that the government failed to keep its word means either deceit or that Dr Muscat is truly irresponsible because he is putting people’s lives at risk, it continued.

It is ironic that such a decision was taken while Environment Minister Leo Brincat is holding activities in relation to raising awareness on air quality.

Talk and promises on improving air quality is only rhetoric and the campaign against HFO was a pre-electoral stunt, the PN concluded.

  • don't miss