The Malta Independent 17 August 2026, Monday
View E-Paper

Labour pledges further investment in Maltese heritage, language and restoration projects

Wednesday, 20 May 2026, 10:58 Last update: about 4 months ago

Culture Minister Owen Bonnici, Parliamentary Secretary Alison Zerafa Civelli and Labour candidate Mariah Meli outlined a series of heritage, restoration and Maltese language proposals, with Labour pledging further investment in historical sites, fortifications and cultural projects linked to Malta's national identity.

Speaking during a press conference at Fort St Michael, Bonnici said Malta's identity is built on a long history of resilience, culture and a people who always found the strength to overcome challenges.

He described Malta as a European nation with deep Mediterranean roots that passed through different civilisations while maintaining its own identity throughout the centuries.

"That history is still alive in our streets and villages," Bonnici said.

He described the Maltese language as one of the strongest symbols of national identity, saying it developed from different linguistic influences into the voice of the Maltese people.

"We want to continue protecting, celebrating and strengthening the Maltese language as the link that keeps the people united," he said.

Bonnici said the same principle applies to Malta's cultural heritage, including churches, art, historical sites and fortifications, which he described as treasures that make Malta and Gozo unique.

Referring to sites such as Mdina, Valletta, the Cottonera and the Cittadella, Bonnici said these remain testimonies to the courage and sacrifices of past generations.

He referred to what he described as unprecedented restoration projects, including works at the Grand Master's Palace, the Jesuits' Church, the Cottonera fortifications and the Chapel of is-Salib tal-Gholja in Siġġiewi, as well as projects carried out together with voluntary organisations and the Church.

Bonnici said that as announced in Labour's manifesto, the Heritage Malta passport scheme will be extended to everyone to allow more people to visit historical sites free of charge.

He also said government plans to introduce free translation services for private businesses wishing to install bilingual signage, while also investing in Maltese language technology such as text-to-speech and speech-to-text systems in Maltese.

Bonnici said government also plans to support restoration works at Villa Frere and use part of the site as a home for the Maltese language.

Among future projects, Bonnici referred to restoration works at the former armoury in Birgu, which he said will be transformed into a contemporary museum presenting the development of Maltese identity.

He also said restoration works at the Main Guard in Valletta will be completed and opened to visitors with an immersive exhibition tracing Malta's history from prehistory onwards.

Referring to the Victoria Lines, Bonnici said restoration and cleaning works have already been carried out on several structures while signs were installed to guide visitors.

He said that the site has the potential to serve as a national 12-kilometre walking route.

Parliamentary Secretary Alison Zerafa Civelli said a future Labour government will continue giving new life to Malta's fortifications.

She referred to Fort Tigné as part of the Manoel Island agreement, saying the site will become accessible to visitors and organisations operating within the cultural heritage sector, while surrounding areas will become open public spaces.

Zerafa Civelli also spoke of restoration works on the Cottonera fortifications and said works on the Victoria Lines are intended to be completed during the next legislature together with the creation of a pathway.

She said extensive restoration works had also been carried out at Fort Delimara.

Referring to Fort Bengħisa, she said the 40-tumoli site had been returned to the public and is now being managed by Heritage Malta and used by the Birżebbuġa local council and scouts groups.

Zerafa Civelli also spoke of plans to transform Fort Binġemma into a national space park inspired by the success of Esplora and focused on astronomy-related infrastructure.

She added that government also intends to conclude negotiations for Fort San Salvatur to return to government ownership.

The parliamentary secretary said Malta has also submitted a nomination for the Knights of St John fortifications to receive UNESCO World Heritage status.

Meanwhile, Labour candidate Mariah Meli said Malta is rich in historical sites that should be enjoyed by more Maltese and Gozitan people.

She referred to the Heritage Malta passport scheme introduced for children and parents, students and pensioners, saying government now wants more people to visit heritage sites and strengthen their knowledge of Maltese history.

Meli also referred to plans for more evening experiences at heritage sites, including new experiences at the Maritime Museum in Birgu aimed at strengthening understanding of Malta's relationship with the sea.

She described the National Museum of Archaeology in Valletta as a flagship museum requiring further investment to strengthen public awareness of Malta's historical importance.

Meli also said that the current Natural History Museum in Mdina inadequately reflects modern scientific knowledge, and a new site would be identified in the next legislature.

She further referred to the St Paul's Catacombs, describing them as the first site in Malta to receive a European Heritage Label, adding that further investment is planned so they can gain stronger national recognition.

"Maltese identity is our history, our culture and the spirit of the Maltese and Gozitan people," she said.

  • don't miss